Qualifications needed for the salaried and tuition fee paying routes
- An undergraduate degree at class 2:2 or above, or equivalent
- Grade 4 (C) or above in English and Maths or equivalent qualification
- Grade 4 (C) or above in Science for Primary applicants
- We will consider candidates with pending GCSEs
- We will consider candidates who need to take a GCSE equivalency test in English or maths
- If you are required to complete an equivalent GCSE, you will be responsible for meeting the cost. We recommend: A star equivalency (preferred) or Equivalencytesting.com
- You need to have completed these equivalency examinations and have the results prior to the start of the course (1st September 2024). The minimum grade is equivalent to a grade 4
- Usually we would expect your degree to have a minimum 50% content of the subject in which you are applying. However, please talk to us if you wish to train in a subject where you have industry experience or other qualifications related to your proposed subject training
Eligibility for the Postgraduate Teacher Apprenticeship (PGTA)
Please note the PGTA eligibility criteria are different from the fee paying and salaried routes. For the recruitment cycle 2024-25 this route is restricted to candidates who are currently working in the school or trust they wish to train to teach in with some teaching responsibilities e.g. HLTA, Learning supervisor. They must have at least two years of experience working in a school environment.
- A degree – ideally 50% in the subject the candidate wishes to teach
- For this year applicants for the PGTA must be already working in the trust / school where they wish to train
- Apprentices must have a degree, GCSE C/ grade 4 or higher equivalency in maths and English (& science for primary). Candidates who have equivalencies instead of GCSE will have to also complete functional skills level 2 Functional Skills. qualifications are required to meet the apprenticeship gateway criteria
- Classroom experience of at least one year –length and roles may vary depending on the experience of each individual
- All apprentices must meet the ESFA Apprenticeship eligibility criteria, which includes being a resident of the UK (or EEA if a UK or EEA citizen) for the last 3 years
Please contact us if you wish to discuss your eligibility for the PGTA and we will be happy to advise.
We recommend registering with the Department for Education’s advisors who can help you with all stages of the application process – register here. This service offers personal advice from an experienced teacher including:
- Bespoke guidance about teaching for your context
- Entry to our exclusive nationwide teaching events, where you can meet local training providers and get bespoke advice
- Support in finding a suitable school experience to visit
- Email updates full of important information and tips to help your teacher training application
- Guidance for applying
The Department for Education website has a really helpful step by step guide on how to apply.
Useful links for applications
- To apply for teacher training courses in England use the DfE’s Apply for teacher training service
- The Apply for teacher training service gives clear guidance to support your application
- Visit Get into Teaching for more information. If you need any guidance on this process please email us at email@example.com and request a call back
- To view and apply for ITT at Alban TSH courses you need to use the DfE Apply service and search for: NIoT@Alban TSH
Applications are now open for training in September 2024 and close at the end of June 2024. We recommend that candidates apply as early as possible in the application window to secure school placements.